Tuesday 3 April 2007

Spring tasks

Well here we are at the beginning of April already. I have been up to my eyes or whatever in lambing so the garden has been neglected!!

My lovely man, Alan, came yesterday and dug over the veg patch. Proper digging that is, not my pathetic attempt. The soil is only just dry enough to work so all is not lost. With changing seasons, it is important to work to conditions rather than dates. Having said that, I read somewhere that seeds germinate well if sown under a waxing moon!! Well, I put the spuds in yesterday and noticed that it was full moon last night.

The worked soil is crumbly enough to sow and I will try to get in the parsnips - long growing period- carrots, beetroot and some lettuce seeds. These will all go in the third which has no FYM. The other thirds are brassicas and potatoes in rotation as I said before. Just remember what you put where this year and if you can't then start a garden notebook. There you can record which varieties you grow and how they turned out. I always throw the seed packet away and then wonder what it was.

Tomatoes are up but not quite large enough to pot on. I will start to sow brassicas this w/end - in plugs this year. Also courgettes and butternut in pots. Later in the month I will get the beans going in pots too. Happy gardening - it's all go now!!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

When can I have some bean plants mum?

Pauline said...

Not warm enough and a bit windy for them tonight!! Still, nice rain to wet the soil and, when planted, they will shoot away. Beware Jack!!!