Friday 23 February 2007

Brassicas and low maintenance veg

Question from last post:

What are brassicas? From the list of what you are planning to grow are there any "less maintenance" veggies while we get used growing our own?

My answer:

Brassicas are things like cabbages, caulis, sprouts, purple sprouting… They are prone to clubroot which stunts their growth and then they are useless! To overcome this I do not plant on the same ground for at least 3 years – hence rotation. I also treat with clubroot powder when planting out.

I grow low maint veg too – too many things going on – so my favs are leeks (but get them sown now as per packet instructions), purple sprouting (ditto) which are great to have to eat at this time of the year. I also prefer new pots straight from the garden – so a few of the First Early ones – Accent or Rocket –but get them as seed pots now and set them in egg boxes or similar in a warmish, light place to “chit” ie start sprouting before planting out in March. Grow Apple Mint in a bucket sunk into the ground or it will invade everywhere (a must to go with the spuds).

If you live up North, your season maybe later than ours as you may get frosts after us. Times of sowing and planting will be different.

I have a greenhouse so I love tomatoes – they can also be grown outside if you get a variety that is blight resistant.

Courgettes are dead easy – Plant out on a pile of well rotted manure (they are hungry things and like moisture retentive soil) when risk of frost is over. I only put in 3 plants and that is enough. Don’t forget to pick each day or you will end up with marrows!! If you don’t like marrows, put them on the compost heap – waste not, want not. Butternut squashes are the same procedure and will store all winter in a cool frost free place – Yummy roasted or in soup.

That’s all for now – Good luck!

P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again! I sense a trip to the garden centre at the weekend.

Without room for a greenhouse I thought that tomotoes were out of the question, but we'll give them a try. Hopefully our relatively artic climate won't spoil them.